St. Croix Sailing Club
Crew Training, 2019
June 8 – 9, and June 22 – 23
St. Croix Sailing Club is offering a class this Spring in the basics of Sailing and Crewing on a variety of racing sailboats.
This class is for you if you have had some sailing experience but would like to become a more effective race crew member.
Never sailed before? We would recommend Saint Croix Sailing School’s Adult Keelboat Certification course. It is a great pre-requisite to SCSC’s Crew Training. Their first session precedes this course, so you can take both in one season.
SCSC’s Crew Training class includes four days of instruction that is split evenly between in-class time and on-the-water practice. Each afternoon you will be assigned to a different skipper and type of boat to practice race maneuvers along with fellow class members, experienced skippers, and experienced crew.
A 60-page handbook will be yours to keep. Morning in-class sessions cover topics such as knots, terminology, skippers expectations, race starts, sails and trim, tactics/strategy and the racing rules of sailing.
Each of the four class days include classroom instruction from 8:00 am until noon followed by on-the-water practice (weather permitting) until around 4:00 p.m. Class sessions are held at the St. Croix Marina in Hudson. A membership in the St. Croix Sailing Club, picnic lunches, and an instructional handbook are included in the course fee.
Class capacity is limited, so register early to guarantee your spot!
Class attendance also include a membership in the St. Croix Sailing Club (Crew Membership or Regular Membership).
- You are welcome at all sailing events, as well as complimentary food at beverages on cruises, Beercan parties, and many other events.
- Included in the SCSC mailing lists and communications, as well as access to the members-only section of the website.
- Regular Membership extends to household members, may compete with your own boat, and more!
- See the membership application for additional benefits.
- Registrations are not guaranteed until payment is received.
- Registrations may be cancelled if payment is not received within 7 days of your registration. Instructions for mailing your payment will be provided.